Friday, November 14, 2008

Good Morning, Mr. Zip Zip Zip

One of the real luxuries of living on a dirt road is that in the morning when the puppy needs to be taken out, you can go out with him in considerable solitude and wander around without seeing another person. Nothing against seeing people, but it is nice not to have to make forced conversation sometimes.

This morning, as we -- the dog and I -- were out walking along one of the paths out behind the house, and just after the dog across the swamp sounded off, a song came into my head. Now, when you are really in the boonies, when that happens, you can just go ahead and sing it out loud! In the burbs, in the city, even in the nearby villages, if you did that, you would get lots of strange looks, and, depending on the song, maybe even arrested. But here? No.

"Good morning, Mr. Zip Zip Zip
With your hair cut just as short as mine"

Was pretty much all that came to mind, but I sang it anyway.

I thought I remembered my father, who had been in World War I, teaching me at least this fragment of it.

Anyhow, after we finished the walk, and I nearly fell on my butt because the trail was a little slick after the rain last night, I decided to Google the first line of the fragment. After all, Google is pretty remarkable!

I am happy to say that Google is indeed remarkable. It correctly found the song for me, on a website I had been unaware of about World War I.

Here's a link to an MP3 of "Good morning, Mr. Zip, Zip, Zip".

Enjoy it!

By the way, the website where I found it was http://www.firstworldwar.com -- probably worth checking out!